Tuesday, August 1, 2017

How to create an Abundance of Earthworms in your Garden HuwsNursery - Grow Organic Produce Inexpensively HuwsNursery - Grow Organic Produce Inexpensively

https://youtu.be/1b8D-wwyxpk Start at: 4:07 Published on Jan 15, 2015 Earthworms are the workers of the soil and are sometimes called nature’s plow. Their job is very important for the quality of soil and also decomposition. Many of you will think the more earthworms there are the healthier the soil however this isn't always the case. But as organic vegetable gardeners we encourage an abundance of earthworms in our garden to help maintain healthy soil to grow better vegetables in. Sources: http://extension.psu.edu/plants/crops... http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE... http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/n... With thanks to Josh Sommers' worm video: https://www.flickr.com/photos/joshsom... Thumbnail=https://www.flickr.com/photos/wheatfi... Thanks for watching and please subscribe so you can stay up to date with what to do in the garden, tips, advice and how to's including delicious recipes. You can subscribe here: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_c... Also find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuwsGardenNu... See us on Blogger http://organichomegrown.blogspot.co.uk/ Category Howto & Style License Standard YouTube License SHOW LESS COMMENTS • 61 Oscar del Rosario Add a public comment... Top comments Rafael Zuniga Rafael Zuniga3 weeks ago (edited) I am so excited to share my unbelievable manifesting experience after just three weeks on your manifesting program [ Check Details here ===https://plus.google.com/u/2/117309684281297662218/posts/a2QbEcywfap ]... the deal was worth a $50,000 commission check! What a gift of wisdom and knowledge that you have given all of us! Read more Reply 9 View reply Brat Brat6 months ago We started by purchasing 1 lb of red wiggler composting worms. I had 2 worm bins I put them in, but they died because of the harsh summer we had and I didn't know what to do to protect them. But at the same time, I put a few in my container where I was growing 2 tomato plants and they thrived and multiplied quickly without us knowing. When we found out that we had a thriving population of worms, we started regularly feeding them by carefully digging around the plants and burying vegetable and fruit scraps as well as mulching with free goat manure and hay (our friends have a goat ranch). This has worked VERY WELL for us! So much so that I'm giving away our red wiggler worms in shoebox sized plastic totes as unique Christmas, birthday and housewarming gifts! Our friends and family love them, once they get over their initial shock! Read more Reply 9 Pat Stokes Pat Stokes1 year ago well this is all good if you live in england, I live in a desert. Reply 6 View all 11 replies Aaron's allotment Aaron's allotment2 years ago Huw, I am absolutely convinced that you mean well, but I find this video very confused as if you began it by having a point but got lost in how to make it. Dare I say that you should go back to something local and then let off the firework of what you have seen in your soil. I have been following you now for well over a yea4 and I love what you do, but it is also time for you to place your own marker in the Youtube soil, not just copy what you can see that works from over there. Read more Reply 3 View all 2 replies deucedeuce22oz deucedeuce22oz2 months ago Made a big mistake with worms in my garden this week. I was planting carrots... and used the method where you cover up the carrot seeds after sowing/sprinkling them. After a couple days they didn't sprout like they normally do. I figured it was the weather, because it's still a little cold/early. I didn't have any carrots sprouting, but I had a ton of worms under the board that I used, so I decided to give the worms some dry leaves to eat. Unfortunately it seems that they didn't just eat the leaves, they ate all the seeds/sprouts too (if there ever were any sprouts). I just decided to look online to see if worms eat seeds and found out that they eat both seeds and sprouts. I'm sure they ate the seeds because they would have definitely sprouted by now. The seeds I planted in another location that wasn't taken over by worms have all sprouted, but none of the ones where the worms are have. I put more seeds down in the same spot, but not I'm wishing I didn't, because they've probably all been eaten by the worms too. Some people say not to add leaf litter and stuff like that to your garden, because it brings insects and fungi to your garden that can be harmful, but this year I decided to try it, because It's been too wet and cold to plant anything yet... It's pretty cool to see all the worms feeding on the leaves. They literally drag the leaves into their holes where they eat them and then poop just outside the hole, so now I have many 100s (if not 1000s) of worm poop hills in my garden and leaves all over that look like they were pushed into the ground with a stick. Read more Reply 1 View all 2 replies Tobias C. Brown Tobias C. Brown1 year ago In Vermont, earthworms are considered invasive. They do help gardens but if they get into your nearby forest, they create trouble. No? Reply 1 View all 8 replies WORM GITTER WORM GITTER1 year ago The earthworms and their eggs are in our compost pile naturally. We spread our composted leaves and grass on the garden and plow it under in the fall. Then we start a new compost pile with grass and leaves. In late fall, leaves are raked onto the top of the garden. Check out the Abled Gardener and her worm towers. Reply 1 View all 6 replies Patrick Meehan Patrick Meehan2 years ago Very good information Huw. I find if one or two root vetetables are left in a raised bed, there seems to be more earth worms present than a bed without earth worms. I haven't compared like with like yet because I only had one bed of carrots. Reply 2 View reply Vegan Mark Vegan Mark2 years ago This is a fantastic video. I love seeing those worms everywhere in my soil and compost. I really need to set up an indoor worm farm for castings. I keep meaning to do it but need to find the time. Great stuff Huw, thank you ~ Mark Reply 1 View reply Mohd Kamil Mohd Kamil2 months ago I live in the tropics....there is no way worms could live in my compost. They'll get fried alive. Reply Jamous Lizotte Jamous Lizotte5 months ago Dear you tube garden friend. I watch your "How to create an Abundance of Earthworms in your Garden" video and i have a wonderful suggestion to add more Earthworms to your garden. Its called Coffee grounds. For some reason Earthworms love the stuff. I started by adding it to my compost pile long ago and into my indoor vermiculture bins. I so discovered that not only did I get babies and more Earthworms I also got big and healthy ones. Even leaving the coffee grounds in their bags on the pavement they just seemed to find it in droves. I hope this helps your adventures in making more earthworm populations. Read more Reply Laura weeks Laura weeks6 months ago That is how I get my pet earth worms but don't worry I let them wiggle around in the grass-soil Reply Laura weeks Laura weeks6 months ago Rake the ground and put water over it Reply BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA7 months ago And great links in the description thanks alot. Reply BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA7 months ago Thanks alot. :) Reply Firdous Valley Firdous Valley10 months ago excellent links in the description thanks buddy... Reply R Riddle R Riddle11 months ago I did not come up with this idea but am implementing it in my raised beds and in ground around fruit trees. Use 5 gallon plastic buckets and drill 1/2" holes 2/3 up from the bottom and in the bottom of bucket as well. Holes should be a couple inches apart max. Now create a worm farm; layer paper, compost and veg scraps. Add a lid and bury 3/4 the way up bucket in ground. Keep adding kitchen waste periodically and adequate water. The worms will go in and out of the holes to create an oasis of fertile soil around the bucket. I am going for buckets 6' apart. When bucket is full of worm castings, empty. Use on top of soil or gently mix in or part of seedling mix or whatever you need. We live in an arid climate, 14" of rain is a good year. We have about 8" of soil on top of sand. Constantly making compost and chipping branches to improve soil. No bare soil, mulch with cardboard, wheat and rice straw and leaves. I have a 3 tier worm farm thing that I am over with. Hoping the bucket idea will eliminate some work. Read more Reply 1 srinu tankasala srinu tankasala1 year ago good nice vidiyo Reply Greg Dent Greg Dent1 year ago Last fall I tilled a nice load of well aged rabbit manure into a garden plot I was starting. I then mulched heavily with straw and hay. Early in March I started finding earth worms all over the garden. I have identified them as lumbricus rubellus, and some now in May are 6 inch long! Reply Show more Autoplay Up next How To Find Your Own Compost Worms. Jeff Heriot 11,470 views 7:00 Everything You Know About Composting is Wrong: Mike McGrath at TEDxPhoenixville TEDx Talks 841,859 views 17:22 How To Make A DIY Worm Tower GreenShortz DIY 218,300 views 14:23 How to make the Ultimate Electric Worm Getter! Total Fisherman 4,038,234 views 21:13 DIY Worm Composting Bin to Rehab Your Garden Lia Andrews 1,820 views 33:46 Worm Towers from 5 gallon buckets The Abled Gardener 131,834 views 14:01 Raising Earthworms Indoors David Ramsey 142,435 views 7:17 9 Easy tips on fast worm farming. MORNING GARDENER'S SHOW. 31,868 views 3:59 Be a Worm Farmer LoveYourBasil 264,961 views 4:55 How to make a Worm Farm under $5 - Cheap, Simple and Effective HuwsNursery - Grow Organic Produce Inexpensively 267,474 views 7:30 Harvesting Garlic and Succession Planting Salads HuwsNursery - Grow Organic Produce Inexpensively 2,691 viewsNEW 4:39 How to Grow Red Worms that Eat Garbage and Make the Best Fertilizer Learn Organic Gardening at GrowingYourGreens 30,686 views 38:11 Grow Tomatoes NOT Foliage - Part 2 Of Tomato Growing Tips California Gardening Recommended for you 25:41 How to make a CHEAP worm farm. gardeningcentral 478,985 views 4:55 Attract Earthworms and Boost soil nutrients! Praxxus55712 34,111 views 4:00 How Compost & Worm Castings are Made with Food Scraps & Wood Chips Learn Organic Gardening at GrowingYourGreens 137,528 views 25:25 Growing Potatoes the Lazy Way HuwsNursery - Grow Organic Produce Inexpensively 665,272 views 5:28 74 Year Old Discovers the Fountain of Youth in Her Garden looks 40 Learn Organic Gardening at GrowingYourGreens 165,007 views 1:13:33 How to Eliminate Grubs in Your Lawn or Garden without Pesticide Learn Organic Gardening at GrowingYourGreens 210,850 views 9:17 How to Make A Super Simple 2 Ingredient Worm Tea Without A Bubbler MIgardener | Simple Organic Gardening & Sustainable Living 4,767 views 8:31 SHOW MORE Language: English Content location: Philippines Restricted Mode: Off History Help About Press Copyright Creators Advertise Developers +YouTube Terms Privacy Policy & Safety Send feedback Test new features © 2017 YouTube, LLC

No comments:

Post a Comment